ACL President's Update
August – one of my favorite months of the year. Yes, the weather is hot (and I love it!) and yes, the start of a new academic year is fast approaching; still August continues to be a time of summer reflection – opening up to new possibilities and approaches.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our ACL Summer Leadership Institute - faculty and fellows alike; three hard working days in Atlanta where we made new connections, worked on projects to further our individual organizations and engaged in thinking about making collaboration work. Having the opportunity to work on this program has been one of the best rewards of my ACL engagement.
If you haven’t already, I hope you are considering registering for the ACL Annual Conference in October. I recently heard the ACL conferences characterized as a ”warm hug by colleagues who understand exactly what this work entails.” This is an opportunity to get recharged, hear some new ideas, and be with a group of peers who are looking to build on what they learn from each other.
I look forward to seeing you in Pennsylvania!
Executive Director, Colleges of the Fenway
President, Association for Collaborative Leadership
Congratulations to the ACL Summer Leadership Institute Fellows - Class of 2019!
- Tracey Brantley, Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education, Executive Director
- Darcy de Leon, Andrews University, Human Resources Director
- Corie Dugas, NELLCO Law Library Consortium, Inc., Executive Director
- Brenda A. Flores-Lopez, Southern Adventist University, Associate Vice President for Human Resources
- Stephanie Fabritius, Associated Colleges of the South, President
- Lisa R. Forbes, Union College, HR Director
- Lori Frost, Big Ten Academic Alliance, Project Coordinator - Programs Team
- Suronda Gonzalez, Upstate New York College Collaboration, Executive Director
- Steven G. Holley, The Claremont Colleges Services, Vice President, Finance & Administration
- Sharon Lee, Project Coordinator, Big Ten Academic Alliance
- Michael Malmberg, Colleges of the Fenway, Director of Environmental Health and Safety
- Deanna H. McCay, New York Six Liberal Arts Consortium, Project Manager
- Michael (Mickey) McDonald, Great Lakes Colleges Association, President
- Jake Myers, Big Ten Academic Alliance, Information Technology Technical Associate
- Stacy Nelson II, Pacific Union College, Associate Vice President of Human Resources at Pacific Union College
- Allison O'Connor, Colleges of the Fenway, Director for Academic Programs & Professional Development
- Sarah K. A. Pfatteicher, Five Colleges, Incorporated, Executive Director
- Ray Rennard, Five Colleges, Incorporated, Director of Academic Programs
- Laurel Rosch, Big Ten Academic Alliance, Project Coordinator
- Derrick L. Tillman-Kelly, University Innovation Alliance, Director of the UIA Fellows Program and Network Engagement
- Colin Tudor, The Claremont Colleges Services, Secretary to the Board & AVP for Community Relations
- Zoë Wyner, The Professional Arts Consortium, Executive Director
- Sue Zago, NELLCO Law Library Consortium, Inc., Vice President
Here's what our 2019 Summer Institute Fellows had to say about their experience:
I appreciate the experience and diverse thoughts from the faculty. You each brought different perspectives and are transparent and willing to share your challenges. I commend you for being willing to be vulnerable and genuine.
The group activities were exceptionally useful in workshopping and developing ideas!
The extended times to reflect and discuss with others was beneficial. I also appreciated the experiences shared by faculty members and other attendees.
Upcoming 2019 ACL Webinars
The ACL Virtual Professional Development Committee is in the process of planning the below upcoming webinars! Details will be announced shortly.
- Leading an Equity - Minded Consortium - September 2019
- Senior Leadership Conversation about Dealing with Consortial Membership Loss - October 2019
The 2019 Association for Collaborative Leadership Annual Conference - Early-bird Registration is Open!
The 2019 Association for Collaborative Leadership Conference will be hosted by the Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges in Bethlehem, PA, from October 16-18, 2019. The ACL pre-conference workshop will be held at the Hyatt Place in Bethlehem, PA, with the remainder of the Conference held at Moravian College, within walking distance.
The pre-conference workshop will occur on Wednesday, October 16 from 12pm-4pm and will focus on the principles of change management, overcoming challenges associated with change management, and integrating these practices into consortia work. Lunch will be provided at the workshop. Immediately following the workshop is the Annual Collaboration Showcase poster session, featuring the ACL Summer Institute and any consortia who opt to participate!
The conference schedule itself is robust with speakers from diverse consortia and member colleges and universities addressing a full range of collaborative efforts. Participants return to the ACL meeting year after year to take advantage of networking, access to information and immediately useful ideas and approaches, and for the opportunity to discuss the challenges and rewards of higher education collaboration with others who understand the work.
Please join us!
Welcome to our Newest ACL Members!
The Professional Arts Consortium